Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten tips for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medication. Never ever before have so many new strategies and scientific advancements emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides countless individuals the chance to lower or eliminate their need for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio ads are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgery as the pain-free and quick way to fix vision, but stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Before you decide to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist guarantee that you will enjoy with your outcomes?
The crucial to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a medical professional by getting recommendations from other physicians or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be fooled by elegant advertisements about a particular laser. Choose the physician, not the laser.
3. Pick a physician who has actually done at visit site least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a physician does not know can harm you.
Ask for information on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. If your physician will not tell you, find another one.
Ask exactly what steps are taken to prevent infection. Insist that your eye is completely disinfected, and insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Be careful of ads pressing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as good as a discount rate parachute. The potential savings are unworthy the risk of receiving less than professional care!
7. Expect to see extremely well after LASIK, however do not expect to see perfectly. Each client gets a somewhat various result. The best cosmetic surgeon in the world can't guarantee 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgery, results are as private as each client. Beware of any physician who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. If you seem like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. Go in other places. You're not purchasing a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably provide much better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, don't forget the benefits: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually improved the vision of millions of individuals around the world.